Monday, February 14, 2011

Over the weekend, I paid a visit to my favorite local indie bookstore, Square Books.  I usually hang out at their children's branch, but my dad was in town, so we headed to the adult store.  And, while I was drifting among the stacks, I spotted this:



Imagine my squeals!  Who did this cover??!!

The artist's name is Ruben Toledo, and he is the husband of the super-fabulous fashion designer Isabel Toledo, who designed (among other things) Michelle Obama's yellow dress and coat that she wore for her husband's inauguration.  Here is a picture of the two of them (I can practically hear the tango music playing in the background):



And here's a picture of a Nordstrom ad that ran in the 2008 Vanity Fair.  Ruben Toledo painted the background.



As you can imagine, since my discovery I've spent mucho time searching for images of Ruben Toledo's work, and I've printed up images and tacked them around my studio for inspiration.

And, I found this inspiration by simply switching gears the tiniest bit.  Yes, I spend tons of time in the children's section of libraries and bookstores.  I have several children's book illustration sites that I visit often.  But the tiniest shift led me to this wonderful artist and new source of inspiration, and it made me realize that we all need to break genres every once in a while--just to find some fresh, new wonderfulness that we might have otherwise missed.

sf

7 comments:

  1. Wow. That is the most beautiful copy of Jane Eyre I've ever seen! And you're right--his artwork is amazing!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. SUCH A COOL post! And discovery! So was this book out on the main shelves? Or did you search in an odd place?

    You totally have his style goin' on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that cover!

    And what I wouldn't give for those walls......

    Mucho cool!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous discovery! Love the cover and love that photo of them -- totally smoldering!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so true ... such an inspirational post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have squealed too, what a find, what an artist. Inspiring indeed. I don't even remember how I got here but I got lost for a bit reading around your blog. You are very talented, I adore your workspace and the crazy quilt ottoman is the sweetest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.