Thursday, May 5, 2011

Like Mandarin

So here's proof that you can find a YA book that is NOT about vampires, zombies, werewolves ...


LIKE MANDARIN by Kirsten Hubbard is a delicious read (and not in the blood-sucking, fang kinda way).

Set in small town Wyoming, LIKE MANDARIN is a story about hero-worship, longing and the need to be true to yourself. The main character Grace, a smart girl who longs to leave her small town and her overbearing pageant-obsessed mother, becomes fixated on a wild beautiful girl who is older than she is. Their unlikely friendship allows both girls to grow and soar as they learn who it is they are supposed to be.

Kirsten's writing is beautiful. Because I'm an artist, I love it when writing is done with a paintbrush--the images in the book are so lush and beautifully described, I feel immersed in the landscape of Wyoming.

I highly recommend taking a swim in this book.

sf

*I normally review picture books and middle grade, and I do think this is best reserved for an older reader. The language and concepts are more suited to teens.

Check out the other Bookanista posts today!

5 comments:

  1. Love your opening about vampires! These books are rare indeed and this sounds like one I'd like. (Found your fine blog via Book Dreaming!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been on my TBR forever. I really need to read it soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the way she painted the setting...and the angst!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the suggestion! (Sorry to be a creepy blog stalker, found you from Elana Johnson's blog.)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.