Monday, March 5, 2012

Favorite Read Alouds

Hi all!

In case you missed it, the wonderful Jules featured me on Seven Impossible Things yesterday. I'm so honored!!

And speaking of being honored . . . the fabulous folks at Lafayette Lower Elementary invited me to read to their students as part of Dr. Seuss week last Tuesday. Since my book isn't out yet, I wasn't allowed to read it, but I talked about it a little and showed some illustrations. We had a bit of technical difficulty which was kinda terrifying in front of 300+ little people, but everyone rolled with it and it turned out just fine. Good practice for future school visits where I've heard it's best to go in assuming that nothing technical will actually work.





But the best part of the visit was that I got to read two of my very favorite read-alouds:

Mo Willems's EDWINA THE DINOSAUR WHO DIDN'T KNOW SHE WAS EXTINCT.




I mean, one of the characters is named Reginald Von Hoobie Doobie, and that name ALWAYS gets a laugh (especially if you can say it in a menacing-sounding voice). Plus, the story is just so darn great.

And Dr. Seuss's WHAT WAS I SCARED OF.


I'm always amazed that people haven't heard this story. You can find it in the same book as the THE SNEETCHES, and it's been one of my favorites since I was little. It's delightfully creepy and contains one of the best lines from children's literature ever written:

I said and said and said those words
I said them but I lied them

Chilling, yes?

Hope y'all have a great week. Down here in Mississippi, we're counting down the days until spring break!
sf

4 comments:

  1. Congrats to you. I am so happy for you. :) Thanks for bringing that Dr. Seuss book to my attention I fall into that I never heard that one category, and I really thought I read them all. We used to live near and visit the museum in Springfield, Ma. all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I really enjoyed reading how you worked up to being published because that's the boat I'm in as a writer. Btw didn't that Dr Suess story used to be called, "the pants with nobody inside them"? I loved that story, definitely was creepy lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah, congrats on your upcoming book. Your character is delightful. I've been going through the 12 x 12 group trying to like/join as many as possible. Glad I got to know you better and will definitely keep up---you are a former lawyer?? I'm a former principal.. What were we thinking back in college? I wanted to do art but always felt inadequate---and who becomes a professional artist? LOL

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.