Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Booking it!

Hi all! Sorry for my absence, but lately I've been on the road visiting many fabulous indies for Puzzled by Pink events.
My three girls with me for my hometown launch at Square Books, Jr. here in Oxford.
Aren't they great in their black and pink??!!


Let me just say that independent bookstores are fabulous.

A huge thanks to the lovely people at Square Books Junior, Reed's Gumtree Bookstore, Turn Row Books, Yellow Bike Books, Turning Pages Bookstore, and Lemuria Bookstore. ALL of these fabulous independent bookstores are in Mississippi, and I know our state gets bad press (and some of it is deserved) ... but we've got it in spades with our bookstores. Plus, where there are bookstores, there are readers.

I'm venturing out to Alabama and Georgia this weekend to visit The Little Professor Bookstore in Homewood (outside of Birmingham) and Avid Bookstore in Athens. Such fun!

In the meantime, I've discovered a couple of things for all of these long car trips:

1. The New Yorker Fiction Podcasts: These are free on iTunes, and a writer who has been published in the New Yorker chooses any short story (not one of their own) from the New Yorker archives and reads it. Then the author and the fiction editor of the magazine discuss the short story. These podcasts are from 20 to 45 minutes long, and they are fantastic.

2.  The Truth: These are mini audio movies. They remind me of the radio shows of old--when people acted out plays on the air with sound effects, voices, and great "what if" story lines. These are all pretty short 10 to 20 minutes, and they are so much fun.

Hope you all have a great week!

sf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.