Thursday, November 29, 2012

Middle School Beauty Review

Yes. You read the title of this post correctly. I'm going to write about the Beauty Review that is happening at our public school this weekend for Middle School girls. Just curious . . . do you think that there could be a worse age to put young girls through a contest where they are judged based on their appearance (and proficiency with the use of body glitter)?



Okay, maybe those toddler beauty pageants are worse. But still.

I haven't heard much about it from my oldest daughter who is in eighth grade and is a member of the club which is sponsoring the event--an academic club which requires a 94% grade average and service hours every semester (don't even get me started)--except that she is staying far away from anything having to do with it.

My seventh grade daughter is very different from her older sister, however. She is very girly--she loves ballet, flowers and pretty clothes. I was relieved that she never mentioned the pageant to me or asked to be a part of it. But earlier this week, she was in a bit of a mood, and I asked her what was going on. She said "nothing" but then later mentioned that she was "so sick of hearing about the stupid Beauty Review". I told her that I was proud of her for not signing up to be a part of it, that those were not our values, and we talked a little more about it.

Apparently, those middle school cafeteria conversations that used to be about soccer, school projects, and play rehearsals had shifted. Now everyone was discussing whom they thought would win (i.e. who was the prettiest girl in seventh grade), and the girls partaking in the pageant were dishing  nonstop about their dresses, shoes, makeup  . . . and what time to get to the hair salon for the perfect messy updo.

Before you ask, I've made my feelings known to the sponsors of the event, and I doubt (hope) that we will have a repeat next year. This year, though, it's a done deal. And I've been surprised by how many of my friends are letting their seventh grade daughters' participate. It's like it's become one of those "everybody's doing it" things, and it's really weighing on me. I honestly thought in 2012 smart women had progressed beyond this kind of stuff and we could stand in solidarity, but my friends have shrugged saying that it's all in fun, harmless, and something their daughters wanted to do.

So, you can imagine how happy I was to find this sheet of paper on my daughter's desk this morning.




I think we'll be okay in the Hardy house.

And . . . whoa!! I think I may have the seeds for a middle grade novel here. Hmmmm.

sf

Stay tuned for a Christmas giveaway next week . . . .